Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

1 July 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Favourite Classic Books

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
Top Ten Favourite Classic Books

I studied English Literature at university, so over the years I've read numerous novels that are considered classics. Some of them I really enjoyed, some of them... well, not so much. So, when I read about this week's Top Ten Tuesday, it wasn't too difficult to make a list of my personal favourite classic English Literature novels! 
 


1. Jane Austen's work



I was doubting whether I would count Jane Austen's novels as 6 separate books, but in the end decided to just put all of her work together on the first place of this top 10. I'm a big Jane Austen fan and her books are definitely, without a doubt, my favourite classic novels of all time.



2. Shakespeare - 'Romeo and Juliet'




 I definitely had some difficulties with reading Shakespeare's plays, but as a true romance fan I couldn't possibly not add 'Romeo & Juliet' to this list!



3. Emily Bronte - 'Wuthering Heights'



Next to Jane Austen, I'm also a fan of the work of the Bronte sisters. 'Wuthering Heights' is another classic with a romantic tale at its core and I can honestly say I've never read anything quite like it!
 


4. Lewis Carroll - 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'



I have to be honest and say I first fell in love with the Disney film 'Alice in Wonderland' before I read the book, but Lewis Carroll's classic definitely deserves a place in this top 10.
 


5. Louisa May Alcott - 'Little Women'



Another one of my favourite books of all time!
 


6. Charlotte Bronte - 'Jane Eyre'



Another Bronte sister in this top 10; 'Jane Eyre' is one of the first classic English novels I read while I was at secondary school and it's a story that has always stayed with me.
 


7. Charles Dickens - 'A Christmas Carol'



I'm a big Christmas fan, it's my favourite time of year, so it's no wonder this book is part of this top 10!
 


8. Elizabeth Gaskell - 'Wives and Daughters'



I remember having to read Elizabeth Gaskell's 'North and South' for one of my university courses, and this led me to another one of her novels, 'Wives and Daughters.' I ended up writing my thesis partly about this book, so it holds a special place in my heart!
 


9. Frances Hodgson Burnett - 'The Secret Garden'



Another classic of which I actually first saw the film, which led to me reading the classic book and falling in love with it.
 


10. J.K. Rowling - 'Harry Potter' series


And last but certainly not least, the most recent books on this list: the Harry Potter series. A definite classic!

Which are your favourite classics? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Jane Eyre and The Secret Garden are on my list too! Completely forgot about Romeo and Juliet, it's definitely my favourite Shakespeare Play!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete