Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

25 August 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Would Be On My Syllabus If I Taught Classic Literature 101

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
Top Ten Books That Would Be On My Syllabus If I Taught Classic Literature 101

I missed a few Top Ten Tuesday weeks because of my holiday and blog hiatus, but this Tuesday I'm back joining in with the Top 10 fun! For this week's list I had to decide on a particular group of books I would have on my syllabus if I taught that particular course... A fun list for which I decided to go with the 10 classic novels I would definitely include in my course of English Literature! Be sure to check out my list below and share your own Top 10 links in the comments section!



1. 'Pride and Prejudice' - Jane Austen



Any of you who know me or visit my blog more often will not be surprised by the first author on my Top 10 list. I'd include all 6 of Austen's novels, but since I can only pick 10 I decided to go with her best one and my personal favourite, 'Pride and Prejudice.' 



2. 'Odyssey' - Homer



One of the great classics and one I remembered really enjoying when I had to read (and translate...) parts of it during my Greek and Latin classes at secondary school. 



3. 'Harry Potter' series - J.K. Rowling



One of the best book series ever written and one I think everyone should read, no exceptions!



4. 'Little Women' - Louisa May Alcott



Another personal favourite and one I'm pretty sure most other female readers will enjoy as well. I actually visited the Alcott family home last summer and it definitely made my love for the book and author only stronger! <3



5. 'Jane Eyre' - Charlotte Bronte



This book was part of my own literature list when I was studying English and one of the only classics I remind really enjoying, so it deserves a place on this top 10.



6. 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' - Lewis Caroll



Lewis Carroll deserves a spot on every classic English literature list in my opinion, even though his work might not be everyone's cup of tea.




7. 'A Christmas Carol' - Charles Dickens



Dickens is another author who definitely deserves to be on this list. I decided to go with a bit of Christmas spirit with 'A Christmas Carol'!



8. 'The Taming of the Shrew' - William Shakespeare



Even though I'm not the biggest Shakespeare fan, I can't deny his importance within the world of classic English literature. I decided to go with one of his plays which I personally quite enjoyed, 'The Taming of the Shrew' (which also provides me with the chance to link it to the film 'Ten Things I Hate About You' which was actually based on this Shakespeare original).



9. 'Gone With the Wind' - Margaret Mitchell



A novel which I actually have never read, even though I am quite sure I'd really enjoy it. By adding it to this syllabus I'd force myself to finally sit down with the book and read it.



10. 'The Notebook' - Nicholas Sparks



As a true chick lit/romance fan, I of course need a romantic contemporary classic on the list, such as Nicholas Sparks' 'The Notebook.' 


4 comments:

  1. I did this topic too and I can't believe I forgot Gone With the Wind and the Odyssey! Great choices though!
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/08/top-ten-books-that-would-be-on-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love your list! I did a similar list and we have a lot of similar books on our lists. Ah, the classics! I love that you include Harry Potter. Totally agree that everyone should read them :)

    Check out my TTT here: https://greenishbookshelf.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/top-10-tuesday-books-on-my-syllabus-if-i-taught-classic-british-lit-101/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane! I'm definitely going to check out your list, you've made me curious! ;)

      Delete