Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

2 February 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Historical Settings I Love

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
Top 10 Historical Settings I Love

I have to admit when I first read the topic of this week's Top Ten Tuesday list I thought: 'Hmmmmm, what am I going to do with this?!' It took me a bit of time to come up with 10 historical settings I love, so I've taken the topic a bit broader, deciding to go with 10 historical settings I love, including a few I don't necessarily LOVE, but would love to read more about. Check out my list below!

Be sure to share your own TTT's in the comments section below; I'd love to hear from you! 



1. Regency Period (UK)


Yes, this shouldn't really be a surprise if you know me and my love for anything Jane Austen. I would love to go back in time and spend a few days in the Regency period with all its gorgeous dresses and fabulous balls to attend... 



2. Victorian Era (UK)

Elizabeth Gaskell, the Bronte sisters, Charles Dickens... All authors I learned to appreciate during my university years. The Victorian period has always fascinated me and I can't get enough of books set in this particular era.



3. Elizabethan Period (UK)


The Elizabethan period is definitely a period I need to learn to appreciate. I had to read so much Shakespeare that I now automatically associate the Elizabethan period with his plays (and want to run away in the other direction). However, there are a lot of novels set in this period that might be really interesting, so I think I have to give this era another chance.



4. Egyptian Era


This is a period I've never actually been particularly interested in. However, when I did some research for this week's Top 10 list I noticed that a lot of people seem to love novels set in the Egyptian period. It definitely caught my interest and I'm curious to check out a novel set in this time, so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!



5. The Roaring Twenties


Another period which I don't particularly love at the moment, but which definitely has potential for me to fall in love with. I'd really like to learn a bit more about this period and read some books set in this day and age.



6. Civil War (USA)


The only novel I've read set during the Civil War is one of my personal favourites, 'Little Women'. However, it is definitely a historical period which I'd love to know more about. I guess I could start by finally checking out 'Gone with the Wind'!



7. 1980s


I was born in the 1980s, so can't help but have a special fondness for books in which this era is featured!



8. World War I


I've read way too many novels about World War II already, but I'd love to read a bit more about World War I. I have a soft spot for war-time romances, so might need to look out for more of those tales set in World War I.



9. The Presidents of the USA


I love reading books that provide readers with a look into the White House and the lives of former US presidents and their first ladies!



10. Roman Era


I used to read a lot of stories set in Roman times when I was at secondary school, but I haven't read a good book set in this era for quite a few years now... If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Nice. I like how you organized this!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/02/top-ten-historical-settings-i-love.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/02/top-ten-historical-settings-i-love.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do particularly love books set in the Regency era and the Roman era as well! The Egyptians are interesting to me, but other than The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White, which is a modern take on the Egyptian gods, I haven't really found anything about them. Great list :)
    here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've picked so many amazing historical settings! I'd love to read more books set in a lot of these times too. I really want to see more books that are set in Ancient Egypt!!! That's one of my favourite historical settings.

    Here's my TTT post if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I also love Elizabethan England!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/top-ten-tuesday-42/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Victorian period, I can never find a book that appeals to be with this topic though they don't seem highly rated sadly so that puts me off :(

    Wonderful picks as always Jody I hope you're well :)

    Here's my TTT @ Emma's Bookery if you would like to check it out, have a great day :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love reading about ancient Egypt - really should get back to that! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete