Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

30 August 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Books I Think Should Be Required Reading at School

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
10 Books I Think Should Be Required Reading at School

Especially when I think back at all the books I had to read while I was at university, somehow I mainly remember the books I really did NOT enjoy. And I have to admit there were quite a lot of them. So, I actually quite like this week's Top Ten Tuesday list because it gave me the opportunity to make my own list of books I think every student should read at one point in their school career. I've put both love and hate in there, because you don't know what a great book is until you've read something that's completely the opposite...

Be sure to share your own TTT's in the comments section below; I'd love to hear from you! 



1. 'Pride and Prejudice' - Jane Austen


Everyone needs to read this book. Even if it's just to see what real romance is like <3 (I can't help it, sorry).



2. At least one Shakespeare play


Even though I personally don't really enjoy reading Shakespeare plays I agree that he is one of the best playwrights our world has ever known and everyone should have at least (attempted to) read one of his works.



3. 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' - J.K. Rowling


Everyone should know what brilliant fiction is like and what better way than to read Harry Potter? Just the first part, so everyone can decide for themselves whether they want to read on or not (even though you would be silly if you didn't...).



4. 'A Christmas Carol' - Charles Dickens


Charles Dickens deserves a place on this list as well and I've chosen my favourite novel of his, mainly because it is such a classic story everyone should know.



5. 'The Odyssey' - Homer


A true classic.



6. A novel by James Joyce


I personally didn't realise how horrible a book could be until I had to read my first James Joyce novel for school. I hated it, but it did provide me with a new look at books and how to appreciate them.



7. 'Little Women' - Louisa May Alcott


Yes, I just added this one because I love it and it's one of my favourites...!



8. An example of children's literature


I did some research into children's literature when I was at university and loved it, and I think it's important that everyone reads at least one of these, next to most likely seeing the Disney films...!



9. 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' - Oscar Wilde


A novel that has always stayed with me; a really powerful story.



10. 'Persepolis' - Marjane Satrapi


I was really surprised when I had to read a graphic novel for school, but I ended up really enjoying it. Think this should be required reading so that everyone at least checks out a graphic novel before making certain assumptions about them.

6 comments:

  1. Your list is lovely! I think everyone should read HP, of course. :) I want to get my son a copy of Peter Pan soon. He's still young, but I want to put it away for when he's old enough.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read Pride and Prejudice for longer than I care to admit because I just always assumed it wasn’t for me and read it loved it for all of the humor. And yes everyone should read at least one Shakespeare...and then watch the play so they can actually understand what’s going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I've read only one Austen novel, I love seeing all the classics on bloggers Top Ten Tuesday lists this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your choices! Excellent list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only book on this list I've read is Harry Potter but it's one of my favourite series!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/30/top-ten-tuesday-72/

    ReplyDelete